summaryrefslogtreecommitdiffstats
diff options
context:
space:
mode:
authorintrigeri <intrigeri@boum.org>2017-10-08 11:44:59 +0000
committerintrigeri <intrigeri@boum.org>2017-10-08 11:44:59 +0000
commitf381c951c16a125982341c79d1a35f66f33d6b0f (patch)
treed0d8b1d83aa08ca35af6e75c6ce809d830f3ecf2
parentaeb67f4041fa8ce9a0fde7618bfb094d74eb6e34 (diff)
Debian testing: add notes from sprint discussion.
-rw-r--r--wiki/src/blueprint/Debian_testing.mdwn33
1 files changed, 31 insertions, 2 deletions
diff --git a/wiki/src/blueprint/Debian_testing.mdwn b/wiki/src/blueprint/Debian_testing.mdwn
index d4531a3..bad42dc 100644
--- a/wiki/src/blueprint/Debian_testing.mdwn
+++ b/wiki/src/blueprint/Debian_testing.mdwn
@@ -65,7 +65,28 @@ part of a broader community.
[Vulnerable source packages in the testing suite](https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/status/release/testing)
and the
[Candidates for DTSAs](https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/status/dtsa-candidates).
+ At first glance it seems totally doable for Foundations Team
+ members to run (e.g. locally) a lightweight fork of Debian's
+ security tracker:
+ - Problem to solve: list security issues that affect Tails (last
+ release, current stable and testing branches) but are fixed in
+ current Debian testing/sid
+ - Point it to our relevant APT snapshots (and perhaps current
+ Debian testing or sid instead of Tails devel, to avoid having
+ to resolve the "latest" unfrozen snapshot)
+ - Add our own annotations about issues we decide to
+ ignore/postpone.
+ - Filter packages based on some relevant build manifest so we
+ don't ever see packages we don't ship in Tails.
+ - Automatically merge from Debian's repo and report to us in case
+ of merge conflicts.
* more freeze exceptions in order to address security issues
+ * need to keep our stable branch in an always releasable state
+ ⇒ the tracking & cherry-picking of security issues must be done
+ continuously, and not only right before a planned freeze or release
+ * when the updated package from Debian testing/sid is not
+ installable on current Tails stable/testing, we'll have to
+ backport security fixes
- Transitions
* How to deal with
@@ -79,7 +100,12 @@ part of a broader community.
- Consequences for users
* too many software regressions and not well tested new features
* confused users due to constant incremental changes
- * bigger upgrades on average
+ * bigger upgrades on average: according to research done on
+ [[!tails_ticket 14622]], we should assume ~600MB large IUKs;
+ there will be consequences in terms of:
+ - RAM requirements: XXX
+ - download time: XXX
+ - download reliability ⇒ add a retry/continue mechanism to Tails Upgrader?
* our users debug Debian testing on top of debugging Tails
- Drawbacks for contributors & the Tails community
@@ -103,7 +129,10 @@ part of a broader community.
of changes like 2.0 or 3.0
- Additional Software Packages: will they be pulled from current
- testing or from our snapshot?
+ Debian testing or from our snapshot? Can we tell APT to install by
+ default from Debian testing, unless it's impossible or problematic
+ (e.g. would remove tons of packages) and then fall back to
+ installing from our snapshot?
# The plan