See [[support/known issues]].
Miscellaneous test results
* With Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, the UEFI nightly release does work, while it didn't
* boots on ThinkPad X220 (syslinux 6.02+dfsg-1 and
3:6.03~pre1+dfsg-1~bpo60+1) in UEFI mode
* ThinkPad X230 (syslinux 3:6.03~pre1+dfsg-1~bpo60+1):
- boots fine in UEFI mode, but displays the syslinux menu very much
translated to the top: one can see the two menu entries, but
nothing else, so if one must edit the kernel command-line, they
have to do it blindly
- boots fine in Legacy BIOS mode, so at least we have no hardware
support regression here
* boots on ThinkPenguin Royal (syslinux 6.02+dfsg-1 and
* boots on MacBook Pro 13-inch Mid 2012 9,2 (EFI 2.9), and MacBook Pro
13-inch Late 2011 8,1 (EFI 2.7), both with and without rEFInd *if*
`menu background splash.png` is removed from `stdmenu.cfg`; adding
`menu resolution 640 480` before `menu background` makes the menu
display "correctly" (only taking 1/4 of the screen, but oh well),
*but* the system does not boot; without rEFInd, one has to press Alt
before powering the laptop up, and keep it pressed until a menu
appears, and then choose the entry that's called *Boot EFI* (as
every other entry) and looks like a USB stick.
* on MacBook Pro 13-inch Mid 2012 with rEFInd, one has to choose
*Fallback boot loader from Tails* in rEFInd to boot, as the *Boot
Linux from Tails* entry does nothing at all (syslinux 6.02+dfsg-1
* The ThinkPenguin Royal does not detect the bootloader if installed
as `EFI/Tails/syslinux.efi`; hence the use of the fallback bootloader
path (`BOOT/bootx64.efi`), which should work on more hardware.
boots fine on a Apple MacBook Air 13" mid 2011 (MacBookAir4,2)
once installed with Tails Installer
* MacBook Pro 15-inch Mid 2010 (6,2) boots fine with rEFInd and
tails-i386-feature_uefi-0.23-20131222T0855Z-8acf864.iso, *if* `menu
background splash.png` is removed from `stdmenu.cfg`; if one
adds `menu resolution 640 480` before `menu background`, the system
does not boot.
* Lenovo ThinkPad X130e:
tails-i386-feature_uefi-0.23-20140104T0920Z-3305611.iso boots fine.
* Lenovo E325: tails-i386-feature_uefi-0.23-20140104T0920Z-3305611.iso
* MacBook Air Original (1,1): one has to press Esc twice in rEFInd to
have it see the USB stick; then, rEFInd apparently loads syslinux,
that fails to display its menu, even after commenting out most
menu-related setting that has to do with color or positioning.
Finally, Tails does not boot.
* ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X55VD: boots fine with `menu background
splash.png` removed (both with CSM enabled and disabled); only boots
in CSM mode with `menu background splash.png` kept in place
* Boots fine on ThinkPad W520 (tails-i386-feature_uefi-1.0-20140324T1026Z-dd350d4.iso).
* Boots fine on Lenovo ThinkPad E320 (tails-i386-feature_uefi-1.1-20140407T1357Z-02a2adf)
* Boots fine on Macbook Pro 11,3 (15 Inch Retina-Late 2013)
* Boots fine on Late 2013 Macbook Pro 13" Retina
* Boots fine on Macbook Air 3,1 in UEFI mode
* Boots fine on HP/Compaq 6330s in UEFI mode
* ThinkCentre M82 boots fine with:
- an alpha generation (isohybrid + dd) USB stick
- a beta generation (prepared with Tails Installer) USB stick in
both UEFI and "legacy" BIOS mode
* Boots fine on ASUS 701 (eeepc).
* Boots fine on Acer Aspire E1-531 (V2.09, EFI v2.31) in UEFI mode.
* Boots fine on MacBookPro8,1 (Early 2011, Model A1278).
* Boots fine on Gateway NE56R w/ Bios V2.13 in UEFI mode, with Secure
Boot disabled. Doesn't boot (as expected) with Secure Boot enabled.
* Boots fine on Hewlett-Packard Presario CQ57
* Boots fine on Apple MacBook Air 3,2 A1369 EMC 2392, with rEFInd
0.7.8 installed, when installed with isohybrid + dd.
* Boots fine on ASUS ux31a
- in CSM mode, when installed with isohybrid + dd
- in UEFI mode, when installed with Tails Installer
* Boots fine on Lenovo Thinkpad T400.
* Boots fine on Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 from DVD, and from USB
stick created with Tails Installer.
* Boots fine on MacBookAir5,1 from DVD, and from USB stick created
with Tails Installer on the same machine.
* Boots fine from DVD on VirtualBox 4.3.10-dfsg-1~bpo70+1 (as of commit e0a3c64
* Boots fine on Lenovo G700.
* Boots fine from DVD on Lenovo B570.
* Boots fine from DVD on Lenovo Z61t.
* Boots fine from DVD on HP Pavilion dm4-1150ca.
* Boots fine on Asus Z87 Pro motherboard (Tails 1.1~beta1) off a USB
stick installed with Tails Installer.
# Tests with syslinux 3:6.03~pre18+dfsg-1~bpo70+1
* MacBookPro 13-inch Late 2011 8,1. All what follows is using a USB
device installed with Tails Installer, using an experimental ISO
(20140731) with syslinux 3:6.03~pre18+dfsg-1~bpo70+1. The same
computer boots Tails 1.1 just fine.
- boots just fine with the default configuration
- uncommenting `menu background splash.png` in
`EFI/BOOT/stdmenu.cfg` => stuck at the Mac boot menu
- same as above, and add `MENU RESOLUTION 1024 768` to
`EFI/BOOT/tails.cfg` => displayed *once* the syslinux boot menu
with the expected background image, can edit the kernel cmdline,
but does not boot (display stuck at the syslinux menu); and then
I can't reproduce it, and it's stuck at the Mac boot menu, like
when `MENU RESOLUTION 1024 768` wasn't here.
- same as above, but with `MENU RESOLUTION 640 480`
=> stuck at the Mac boot menu
* TOSHIBA PORTEGE Z830: boots fine with `isohybrid --entry 4 --type
0x1c` and a <1GB ISO.
* TOSHIBA PORTEGE Z930: boots fine from a stick installed with Tails
Installer (from DVD), while it did not boot with Tails 1.1.