blob: 3b86dba0af0346b828ca9a4ef5a084ebf2a60256 (plain
[[!meta title="Help Desk"]]
Help Desk is handling individual support requests with two primary
1. Gather qualitative and quantitative user data, that can be used:
- by the Foundations Team and UX people to prioritize their own
- by our broader community, to improve our understanding of who our
current users are, feed our thought process about our vision for
Tails in the future, and help us build a relevant roadmap.
2. Help the bug reporter resolve the problem they are facing.
- Do user support by email:
- Reply to bug reports received on <firstname.lastname@example.org> (empty reports might
be silently ignored).
- Reply to private user support requests received on
- Act as a proxy between issues reported by users and the rest of
the project. Don't spend too much time investigating every such
issue, in particular for hardware support problems. Instead,
forward this information to the Foundations Team:
1. Gather information about the context in which the problem
occurs, how important it is, what known workarounds exist.
2. Forward the WhisperBack report over email.
3. File a ticket assigned to a Foundation Team member, referencing
the WhisperBack report ID.
4. Ideally, provide statistics about how many people are impacted.
5. The Foundations Team will take a look and decide what to do
(e.g. addressing root cause of the problem, or asking Technical
Writers to document the problem and workarounds, or dismissing
- Follow-up on communications even when not on shift.
- Do user support on XMPP if you feel like it.
General communication watchdog
- Administer and moderate our general purpose public mailing lists: