[[!meta date="Sat, 22 Dec 2018 19:00:00 +0000"]]
[[!meta title="Our plans for 2019"]]
Mid-October, we started our donation campaign by explaining [[why we need
donations|news/2018-fundraiser]]. We then described [[the achievements of
2018|news/achievements_in_2018]] made possible by your donations. Today, we're
unveiling our plans for 2019. If you like them, please take the time to
So far this year many more people have been donating (+61%) but we have
raised less money overall (-51%) because we are missing bigger
donations, especially in bitcoins.
Having many more donors this year is an excellent sign that Tails is
important for more people and that we are doing a good job at helping
We are extremely grateful to all of you who not only want to improve
your safety online, but also understand that we need your help to
sustain Tails. Being backed by a large number of people making smaller
but steadily donations is the best we can dream of. So, thank you!
We will focus on **improving installation and upgrade**, as we know that
they still cause major difficulties for new users:
- In January, we will release a **brand new installation mechanism** to
finally make it easy to install Tails on macOS (and also easier on
Windows and Linux).
- We will add support for **Secure Boot**.
- We will **remove the need for manual upgrades** and make it possible to always
do automatic upgrades (except for major upgrades, like Tails 3.0 to 4.0). We will also research lighter and more robust
- We will redesign our homepage to **explain better what is Tails** to
new users and why they should use it.
- We will make it much easier to translate our website and train new
translators, hopefully leading to offering more languages available on
Under the hood
- We will upgrade Tails to Debian 10 (Buster), planned for mid 2019.
- As always, most of the day-to-day work that we do is invisible to our
users and we will tackle many technical migrations in our code and
infrastructure (Debian 10, Tor Launcher as Web Extension, Jenkins 2,
Gitolite 3, Java 11, etc.).
- We will contribute the security improvements that we wrote for the
*Thunderbird* autoconfiguration with *Thunderbird* upstream.
- Thanks to your generous donations, we will finally have a budget
dedicated to do many more smaller usability improvements everywhere in
In 2019, we will put a lot of efforts on making Tails **easier to understand
and install**. More and more people will get to know and use Tails to protect
themselves. We all want this, and you, by donating at your level, can help to
**make this happen**.
<div id="donate-button"><a href="https://tails.boum.org/donate/?r=plans2019">Donate</a></div>