[[!meta date="Wed, 04 Jan 2012 01:23:45 +0000"]]
[[!meta title="Tails 0.10 is out"]]
The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 0.10, is out.
All users must upgrade as soon as possible.
Notable user-visible changes include:
* Tor: upgrade to 0.2.2.35-1.
- Install Iceweasel 9.0 from the Debian Mozilla team's APT repository.
- Update Torbutton to 188.8.131.52-1.
- Support viewing any YouTube video that is available in HTML5 format.
- Use Scroogle (any languages) instead of Scroogle (English only) when
booted in English. Many users choose English because their own
language is not supported yet; let's not hide them search results in
their own language.
- Install the NoScript Firefox extension; configure it the same way as
the TBB does.
- Disable third-party cookies. They can be used to track users, which
is bad. Besides, this is what TBB has been doing for years.
* Do not transparently proxy outgoing Internet connections through
Tor. Instead drop all non-Torified Internet traffic. Hence
applications has to be explicitly configured to use Tor in order
to reach the Internet from now on.
- Upgrade Vidalia to 0.2.15-1+tails1. This version will not warn about
new Tor versions (this is handled by Tails security check instead).
- Upgrade MAT to 0.2.2-1~bpo60+1.
- Upgrade VirtualBox guest software to 4.1.6-dfsg-2~bpo60+1,
built against the ABI of X.Org backports.
- Upgrade I2P to 0.8.11; the start script (which was broken in Tails
0.9) is now fixed.
- Install unar (The Unarchiver) instead of the non-free unrar.
- [[Install Nautilus Wipe|doc/encryption_and_privacy/secure_deletion]] instead
of custom Nautilus scripts.
* Hardware support
- Upgrade Linux kernel to 3.1.6-1.
- Upgrade to X.Org from squeeze-backports.
- Install more, and more recent b43 firmwares.
- Upgrade barry to 0.15-1.2~bpo60+1.
- Add basic language support for Russian, Farsi and Vietnamese.
- Install some Indic fonts.
- Install some Russian fonts.
- Add Alt+Shift shortcut to switch keyboard layout.
- Support booting in "Windows XP-like camouflage mode".
- Do not fetch APT translation files. Running apt-get update is heavy enough.
- Add MSN support thanks to msn-pecan.
- Add custom SSH client configuration:
- Prefer strong ciphers and MACs.
- Enable maximum compression level.
- Explicitly disable X11 forwarding.
- Connect as root by default, to prevent fingerprinting when username
was not specified.
- Replace flawed FireGPG with a home-made GnuPG encryption applet;
install a feature-stripped FireGPG that redirects users to
and don't run Seahorse applet anymore.
- Blank screen when lid is closed, rather than shutting down the system.
The shutdown "feature" has caused data losses for too many people, it seems.
There are many other ways a Tails system can be shut down in a hurry
- Fix bug in the Pidgin nick generation that resulted in the nick
"XXX_NICK_XXX" once out of twenty.
- Pre-configure the #tor IRC discussion channel in Pidgin.
- Reintroduce the htpdate notification, telling users when it's safe
to use Tor Hidden Services.
- Various htpdate improvements.
Plus the usual bunch of minor bug reports and improvements.
See the [online
for technical details.
# I want to try it / to upgrade!
See the [[Getting started]] page.
# Known issue
The memory erasure on Tails shutdown cannot guarantee that all memory
in the 2 GB to 4 GB region is wiped. The improvements made in Tails
0.10 should at least make the situation better than previously.
# A glimpse towards the future
Were do we go from here? Have a look to our [[!tails_roadmap]] to
see where we are heading to.
Would you want to help? As explained in our [["how to contribute"
documentation|contribute]], here are many ways **you** can contribute
to Tails: no need to be a hardcore developer.